Who Is A Digital Marketing Executive?
No entrepreneur with great business ideas and goals would ignore the power of
digital marketing. Digital marketing is increasingly gaining grounds in many
companies of today. Companies know how much they have and can still gain from
digital marketing. Digital marketers are highly sought after professionals. The
career prospects of digital marketing are consistently on the increase.
Consequently, digital marketing careers are gaining steady feat in the employment
Now, who exactly is a digital marketing executive? Perhaps you have seen or heard
Joe Chernov’s popular quote, “Good marketing makes the company look smart,
great marketing makes the customer feel smart”. Taking a cue from this, we can
simply say a digital marketing executive is the one responsible for making your
company smart. This member of staff works under the marketing department of
the company. Digital marketing executives are online marketers of companies. They
link the company or brand with their customers online. They make it smarter and
easier for both companies and customers to do business together.
What Does A Digital Marketing Executive Do?
Basically, digital marketing executives are saddled with the responsibility of
bringing brands and consumers together. The role of digital marketing executives
may differ in different companies. This depends on the nature of the company: the
type of products or service, goals and strategies of the company. However, most
companies have similar expectations for digital marketers. The basic
responsibilities are broken down as thus:
1. Planning and execution of digital marketing campaigns to promote their
company or brand
2. Promoting the company’s products and services online
3. Managing and supervising the social media strategy
4. Running email marketing campaigns, text campaigns and newsletters
5. Creation and maintenance of company websites
6. Content creation for the company’s websites, social network accounts
7. Monitoring and evaluating the performance of marketing campaigns
8. Creating and maintaining a good brand reputation
9. Managing the company’s search engine optimization strategy
10. Making forecasts of company sales performance
11. Providing information for web designers on marketing campaigns to increase
12. Analyzing company website traffic and the nature of visitors to the website
13. Analyzing the effects of marketing campaign strategies
14. Make reports and set targets for the company
15. Identifying the company’s Key performance indicators (KPI)
16. Evaluating the company’s Returns on Investment (ROI) from its marketing
17. Provide suggestions for improvement of the business
18. Maintain relationships with vendors and media agencies
19. Attending marketing conferences, summits and product launches
20. Keeping up-to-date with current digital marketing technology
This may seem like a long list well, it is. The role of digital marketing executives is
quite demanding. The right skills and attitude are required for the performance of
What Skills Do Digital Marketing Executives Need?
There are many Professional and Personal skills required for digital marketing
managers. Developing these skills would help you stand out as a digital marketing
Marketing skills; digital marketing executives need to know the fundamentals of
marketing. This would help them to devise marketing strategies and provide
Social media marketing: social media is a channel where most marketing
campaigns are often directed towards. Digital marketers need to know how to use
social media effectively for marketing.
Proficiency in digital marketing tools: proficiency in digital marketing tools is highly
required of every digital marketing executive. You must be able to use tools for
email marketing, SEO, social media marketing and analytics proficiently. These tools
will enable marketing automation which makes marketing faster, more convenient
Design skills: marketing involves the creation of attractive visuals. Digital marketing
executives must be proficient in creating attractive images, banners and ads.
Research skills: digital marketing requires a lot of data collations and deductions
from data analysis. Marketing executives must be proficient in finding and using
relevant data. They should also be able to find the right information for their
Writing skills: digital marketing executives need this skill to be able to create great
content that would appeal to existing and potential customers. Content creation is
one of the essential responsibilities of digital marketing executives.
Speaking skills: for video marketing, digital marketing executives must be very good
with words. The ability to speak constructively and make compelling promotional
speeches is highly required.
Time management skills: digital marketing takes time and requires a lot of
attention. Good digital marketers need to be able to create time for every activity
they must carry out. Learning how to multi-task would be a great plus.
Interpersonal skills: digital marketing executives must be able to build and maintain
a good relationship with people. They must be able to work with others, lead others
and be led by others.
Creativity: marketing requires you to be able to come up with new ideas for
photography, writing and design. It is the only way you can have an edge over your
Analytical skills: digital marketing executives need to be able to analyse data
relevant to their marketing strategy. Proficiency in analytics tools and the ability to
interpret results is fundamental for decision making.
How To Become An Outstanding Digital Marketing Executive
1. A diploma or bachelor's degree in marketing is important to give you a good
foundation in basic principles and marketing practices. While this may not
always be compulsory in many companies, it would be extra to your resume.
2. Obtain certifications in different aspects of digital marketing. There are many
online and offline courses you can take to develop digital marketing skills.
3. Internship: internships help you to practice and give you experience while
preparing for your own job.
4. Update your knowledge of digital marketing as new trends are constantly
5. Look out for job openings and apply for them
6. Be confident in your knowledge of digital marketing and apply all you have
7. Maintain a good network with the digital marketing executives
8. Hard work, diligence and discipline pays and would get you climbing up the
Many companies are on the look for digital marketing executives to handle their
online marketing. Thus, there are many job opportunities for digital marketing
executives. However, companies would prefer to hire people with the best
qualifications. The best digital marketing executives are not always born with innate
digital marketing skills. They are professionals who have developed desirable
marketing skills that set them apart from others. With the right training and
attitude, you can have a great career in digital marketing.